Follow @MoistMelodies

Monday, May 6, 2013

NEW SONG: 100$ Bill by Jay-Z (From the Great Gatsby soundtrack)


At this point, you've probably heard that Jay-Z is doing the score for the new film adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. Jay-Z is probably my favorite rapper of all time, and The Great Gatsby is probably my favorite book of all time, so naturally, I have been licking my chops ever since that first announcement. I acknowledge that I'm a little nervous that the movie won't live up to the impossibly high standard set forth by the book, but so far the soundtrack at least has sounded great. Jay-Z's new original song, "100$ Bill" is infused with references to New York, elements of the plot, and the characters within the movie/book. Of course Jay-Z feels a particular connection to Jay Gatsby, perhaps part of why he wanted to work on this film. Also, there's the fact that the book is fucking awesome. I know we're a music blog, but I cannot recommend enough that you read the actual book, especially if you're going to see the movie. I give you the green light to listen to the song after the jump across the bay to East Egg. Just don't hit Daisy on the drive. Hooray for plot references to prove I read it.

(Above photo from Vulture)

No comments:

Post a Comment