Follow @MoistMelodies

Monday, February 4, 2013

NEW ALBUM: Foxygen- "We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic

 
   Foxygen is a diverse band, there's not really much more I can say. As I peruse their music, I'm trying to think of how to categorize them, and I'm not having much luck. I suppose if I had to try to pick a genre, it would be psychedelic rock. It's got all the trappings of all of your favorite psychedelic, with plenty of haunting twang, hard-driving guitar, and washed-out vocals. Their new album, We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic, could have just as easily come out in 1969 as 2013. You can hear shades of The Beatles, The Grateful Dead, and a little bit of Bob Dylan, and yet, it is distinctly modern, joining Tame Impala, among others, in a modern re-working of the psychedelic genre.  It's an eclectic mix of music, but I think it works nicely.
Favorite Tracks: "On Blue Mountain," "No Destruction," and "Shuggie"
Favorite lyric: "There's no need to be an asshole, you're not in Brooklyn anymore." Truer words have never been spoken.

Also, beware of anyone who lists Bob Dylan as an influence for a band, its such a copout. The guy influenced everyone, c'mon Moist Melodies, we're better than that. Whatever, I heard some Dylan in there, sue me.

Click here for purchase information.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment